The vision of the healthcare technologies theme is to accelerate the translation of EPSRC research to healthcare applications by:
- Building critical mass around UK research strengths in computational, engineering, mathematical and physical sciences that underpin healthcare;
- Maximising business, charity and clinical engagement in research, thereby increasing translation to products and practices.
Strong features of the theme are:
- Focussing on the highest priority healthcare challenges and the research capabilities that will address them;
- Partnerships with other funders to encourage translational research and open up pathways to impact;
- Providing support for environments that promote multidisciplinary research and training;
- Stimulating creative and transformational approaches to address unmet clinical needs and improve patient outcomes.
In order to achieve this vision the theme launched a new strategy in March 2015.