Future Liquid Metal Engineering Hub
Metallic materials are the backbone of manufacturing and the fuel for economic growth. The UK metal casting industry adds £2.6bn/yr to the UK economy, employs 30,000 people, produces 1.14 million tons of metal castings per year and underpins the competitive position of every sector of UK manufacturing.
However, the industry faces severe challenges, including increasing energy and materials costs, tightening environmental regulations and a short supply of skilled people. The Future Liquid Metal Engineering Hub will address these challenges.
The core Hub activities will be based at Brunel strongly supported by the complementary expertise of academic spokes at Oxford, Leeds, Manchester and Imperial College London with over £45 million investment from industrial partners in addition to the £10 million invested by EPSRC.
Impact of the Hub will initially be in the UK automotive industry and its supply chain and then the wider transportation industry. The Hub will be a technology proving ground, and will provide:
- shortened lead time from technology concept to industrial production;
- advanced manufacturing technologies to provide technological advantages over competitors;
- recycling-friendly advanced metallic materials with reduced cost;
- and improved sustainability due to reduced CO2 emissions, conservation of natural resources and consequently reduced environmental impact.
Key Academic and Industrial Partners
- Brunel University London
- University of Oxford
- University of Leeds
- University of Manchester
- Imperial College London
- Aeromet International
- Beta Technology Ltd
- Grainger & Worall
- Innoval Technology
- Jaguar Land Rover
- JVM Castings
- Lotus Engineering
- Norton Aluminium
- Primetals Technologies Limited
- Professor Zhongyun Fan, Director
- Tel: +44 1895 266406
- E-mail: email@example.com
You must select the video player for these keys to function.
|shift + left arrow||slower|
|shift + right arrow||faster|
|down arrow||volume down|
|up arrow||volume up|
|left arrow||seek backward|
|right arrow||seek forward|
|. (period)||seek to previous position|