EPSRC Science Photo Competition 2017
Get your cameras ready so you can share your photos and enter the fifth EPSRC Science Photo Competition. This is your chance to share your photos, to support excellence and promote the benefits of outstanding UK engineering and physical sciences.
Prizes are to be confirmed, but previous years' prizes have included equipment to the value of £500. All winning images will be featured in EPSRC's Pioneer Magazine and other EPSRC publications.
What are we looking for?
The EPSRC Photo Competition is an opportunity for all EPSRC-supported researchers and EPSRC-supported doctoral students to share their research using images. We are looking for images that will demonstrate research in action.
- Equipment and Facilities: Images of the equipment, facilities and tools used in your research
- Eureka and Discovery: Images that reflect that Eureka moment or new discoveries and understanding that arise from your research
- Innovation: Images of research that has inspired innovation or is related to commercial breakthroughs
- People and Skills: Images of people working as part of your research team, taking part in or affected by your research
- Weird and Wonderful: Unusual, eye-catching and bizarre images arising from your research
Image examples could include but are not restricted to:
- Research equipment
- Research subject
- Research environment (eg lab or field work)
- Combination of all or any of the above
Images should be submitted electronically by attaching them to the online form.
You will need to include a caption for the image and submit a jargon-free extended caption (maximum of 150 words) putting the research into context. The caption must be comprehensible to the lay reader and will be taken into consideration by the judges when making their decision.
A maximum of three images per person can be submitted. Images should be a minimum of 5MB and a maximum of 25MB and in a digital format a minimum of 300dpi (eg jpg). Winners will be required to submit their winning image in a high resolution format. Images can be downsized for submission but winners will be required to provide a high-resolution version of their submitted image. Images that are nominated for a prize in any other major photo competition are not eligible.
All entries need to be submitted by 16.00 (GMT) on Wednesday 06 December 2017.
Any queries should be directed to Photocomp@epsrc.ac.uk
By entering this competition you are deemed to accept these competition rules and the terms and conditions.
Winners will be chosen in January 2018 and we will announce the winners publicly in February 2018 by issuing a press release.
Judges will be chosen from academia, industry and photo journalism.