The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (now the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy [BEIS]) Life sciences sector strategy was published in 2011 with an update in 2012. The scope of the strategy covers medical devices, medical diagnostics and pharmaceuticals, through to synthetic and industrial biotechnology. For the purpose of the strategy the focus is on the healthcare applications of this science.
EPSRC’s current portfolio (as of 01 April 2014) of direct relevance to BEIS Life sciences sector is £555 million, with an additional £235 million cash and in-kind contributions from collaborative partners.
The top five EPSRC Research areas of relevance (by value) are:
- Medical imaging (including medical image and vision computing)
- Clinical technologies (excluding imaging)
- Biomaterials and tissue engineering
- Assistive technology, rehabilitation and musculoskeletal biomechanics
- Process systems: components and integration
You can explore this portfolio using the sector tab on Visualising our Portfolio (VoP).