Transferring grants in Europe
Money Follows Researcher Scheme
Under the auspices of Science Europe, EPSRC and our sister Research Councils are signatories to the 'Money follows Researcher' scheme, whereby grant holders can take parts of research grants with them when they move between signatory countries. The aim of the scheme is to allow consistent principles to be applied across a range of organisations/countries without the need for a multiplicity of bilateral arrangements.
The following criteria have been agreed by the Research Councils and must all be met before any decision to transfer any Research Council grant can be made:
- The request to transfer a grant must state the proposed date of the transfer which must be a minimum of six months before the grant end date.
- Councils should be assured that the science will not be impaired by the transfer.
- The principal investigator (PI) will have to make a scientific case for it and will have to explain the effects of the transfer, if any, on the aims and objectives of the proposal.
- Research Grants will only be transferred under these arrangements when the PI moves. The move of a Co-Investigator will not trigger a transfer.
- Research Grants can only be transferred to an organisation equivalent to a UK Higher Education Institution (HEI).
- Information will have to be given on the impact on any staff supported by the grant whether they intend to move with the grant or not.
- The normal requirement for the agreement of both the Research Organisation (RO) being left and the RO to which the grant is being moved must be provided.
- Only research grants can be transferred - fellowships are excluded from this arrangement.
- Only Directly Incurred Costs (excluding Equipment) may be transferred. All other costs under the Directly Allocated, Estates Costs and Indirect Costs expenditure types are excluded from any transfer value.
- The transfer will be made to the new home organisation of the PI.
- The new home organisation must be fully Joint electronic Submission (Je-S) registered before any transfer can take place.
- Payments will be made to the new home organisation on the same basis as UK-based grants, normally quarterly and payments will be made in sterling.
This agreement is reciprocal. For details of other signatories to this agreement please see the Science Europe website.
Please contact us at International@epsrc.ac.uk if you have any queries about this initiative.