RISE: Making Connections - Media Training Opportunity
EPSRC is offering a 'Public Affairs and Media Training' opportunity for EPSRC-supported researchers. This opportunity is open to researchers who are interested in policy and evidence-based decision making and keen to acquire new communications skills. Any applicant who considers they would benefit from this training, and is supported by EPSRC, is eligible to apply.
RISE: Making Connections will:
- Provide the opportunity for EPSRC researchers to make connections across a range of Stakeholders to help promote EPS to a wider audience
- Support individuals in maximising their potential and making their own connections
- Provide political awareness training and media training
Being part of RISE: Making Connections will provide participants with:
- 10-15 training places (training will take place on 03 and 04 October 2017 and successful applicants must be available on these dates
- Support in making their own connections
- Policy and media training
- An opportunity to meet with key / influential stakeholders in EPS
Sucessful applicants will:
- use their training to make up to 5 new connections (policy makers, parliamentarians, industry, academics) which will inform new audiences and act as advocates for EPS
- Demonstrate excellent communications and interpersonal skills and aspire to develop these across a broad audience
Applicants must show the potential and aptitude to act as advocates for Engineering and Physical Sciences and/or a particular field of research. They must also demonstrate excellent communications and interpersonal skills and aspire to develop and apply these, in particular, to government and parliament audiences. All applications should be submitted through the University Research Office and must include the EPSRC grant reference number through which they receive support.
Successful applicants will receive the training as described in the attached schedule with an opportunity to meet with EPSRC key stakeholders. They must be available on 03 and 04 October 2017. Details of further activities to take place subsequent to the training will be provided following shortlisting.
Those applicants who are not shortlisted will receive feedback and information on where they may further their interest in public affairs.
Background: Recognising Inspirational Scientists and Engineers (RISE)
The RISE campaign was launched as part of EPSRC's 20th Anniversary celebrations in 2014 with the aim to raise the profile of EPSRC-supported scientists and engineers across the career spectrum, and across EPSRC'''s whole remit, so that they are recognised and valued by business, government and the public as the current and future leaders of engineering and science.
Following on from the success of RISE we have developed RISE: Making Connections to provide the opportunity for EPSRC researchers to make connections across a range of stakeholders to help promote engineering and physical sciences to a wider audience including parliamentarians government departments, academia, industry, and the public.
How to Apply
Applicants should complete the application form found on this page below, and ensure to attach the signed and dated endorsement that you can download from the "Resources" section of this page.
The closing date is 16:00 on Monday 31 July 2017.
Applicants must be available on 03 and 04 October 2017 to undertake the training.
Any enquiries relating to the application process should be sent by email to the contact details below.