We are pleased to be able to welcome the IET as joining the current sponsors of this initiative which are BCS, HP, EPSRC, ARM and Imagination Technologies.
The shortlist for the 2011 UK ICT Pioneers competition has been announced for the research exhibition and awards reception on the 23rd March at Church House Conference Centre.
The event will feature a guest presentation from Dr Siavash Mahdavi who, after completing a PhD in Evolutionary Robotics at an EPSRC funded Doctoral Training Center at UCL and has since gone on to start a successful spin-out company, Complex Matters.
- Syed Faraz Hasan, University of Ulster: Vehicular Communications for Passenger Safety and Broadband services
- Peter McNerney, University of Manchester: Integrating Security and Quality of Service in a Smart City Environment
- Sithamparanathan Sabesan, University of Cambridge: Low-Cost Ubiquitous Passive RFID Real Time Location Sensing System
- Vit Sipal, University of Oxford: Ultrawideband Radio
- Norberto Amaya, University of Essex: Architectures on Demand with Elastic Resource Allocation Support for Future Optical Internet
- Reza Ghaffari, University of Warwick: Action Based Email
- Behrad Gholipour, University of Southampton: Chalcogenides for the Future
- Jing Wang, University of Huddersfield: Computer Vision-based Event Detection
Innovation for Sustainability
- Davide Anastasia, University College London: Error tolerant software adaptation of signal processing systems
- Alexey Denisov, Imperial College London: PEANUT - PErsonal Actuator N-ergized by Ultrasonic Transfer
- Robina Hetherington, The Open University: Software to enable the holistic design of low carbon buildings
- Jens Enzo Nyby Christensen, University of Cambridge: Acoustic Pulse Recognition
- Pedro Costa, Imperial College London: A Framework for Quality of Experience enhancing Systems
- Lu Feng, University of Oxford: Making Smart Devices more Reliable
- Rose Johnson, The Open University: How Real Time Feedback can Transform Learning
- Zdenek Kalal, University of Surrey: Predator: A Smart Camera that Learns from Experience
- Priya Dey, University of Sheffield: A Talking Head for Speech Tutoring
- Tom Kelly, University of Glasgow: City Sculpt Glasgow
- Javid Khan, Heriot Watt University: Holographic 3D Displays
- David Taylor, University of Wales, Newport: Design for Ageing Well
UK ICT Pioneers Competition: Awards Reception and Research Exhibition
Wednesday 23 March 2011
Church House Conference Centre, Westminster
(Research exhibition from 4pm - Awards from 6pm)
The UK ICT Pioneers competition aims to recognise the most exceptional UK PhD students in ICT-related topics (including computer science, electronics, communications and photonics) who can innovatively demonstrate the exploitation potential of their research. This event, hosted by Professor David Delpy (CEO, EPSRC) will showcase the shortlisted candidates, who will then present their research ideas to a panel of academic and industry experts (Chaired by Dave Watson, EPSRC Council and IBM) to win cash prizes of £2000 donated by the industry sponsors.
Key representatives from industry, academia, media and local government are invited to meet the future ICT pioneers, in the presence of Government Ministers (invited and to be confirmed) from the Department of Business Innovation and Skills.
- Technology Everywhere
- Innovation for Sustainability
- Transforming Society
- Information Tsunami
- Connected World
Please confirm your attendance.